Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lost but Loving it

Yesterday was my first day of my last clinical, and oh how I love it. I for one am shocked at how much I love it already, and Its only my second day. I am working inpatient at Intermountain Medical Center(IMC). My clinical instructor and all the Physical Therapy staff there are amazing and really know their stuff.

First let me just tell you how HUGE this hospital is. It has like 6 different buildings and a bazillion, yes bazillion, elevators. Ok so it really doesn't have a ton of elevators, it just feels like it because I seem to get off at a different place every time I ride them(maybe i should start taking the stairs). At least now I can recognize that I am lost and usually wander my way back to where I am supposed to be. It is a maze and only certain elevators access all the floors, but I am slowly learning.

I thought I would not like this last clinical as much, mostly because I love Outpatient Orthopedics so much, but again I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I am enjoying myself. I work on the orthopedic/neuro floor and see a lot of patients just out of surgery. I also treat patients in the ICU. I had never set foot in an ICU until Monday and have always pictured an ICU as this crazy, intense, and traumatic place where people are dead or dying. So you can imagine my shock(and facial expression) when they told me we were going into the ICU to sit people up in bed and walk some of them around the ICU floor. Crazy huh. For those of you who have been to the ICU or work in the ICU its not so crazy, but to me....CRAZY! I work 7 days on and 7 days off. Tomorrow is the start of my 7 off so I will continue to update everyone as the adventure continues. :)

2 comments:

whitney! said...

apI live really close to that hospital! It is so confusing finding your way around- I've heard people refer to it as the Death Star- it's huge! You are way close to being done with school! That's so exciting!

whitney! said...

And the reason that comment has "ap" at the beginning is because of the damn word verification thing I have to do to leave a comment. But really I don't understand how half of the word wound up there. Sorry.